Monday, January 6, 2014

Menu Managed

Not really. Here it is first Monday of the new year and not a thought in my head what's dinner beyond tomorrow night's Fish & Chips, Onion Rings, and coleslaw dinner. Suggestion from the house occupants have been made, but before College Girl leaves, I'd like to fix meals by which to make her feel homesick while she's away. Sounds a bit underhanded, yes, but I'm going to miss her very much. She's the easy spirit among her tightly wound older brother and distant teenage sister. I do love them equally, but it's much easier for my middle child and myself to fall into fits of laughter the moment we set out on errands. Same with she and her sister.  I also relish in overhearing she and her brother having calm conversation about similar interest. I could not adore my children more.

Now, back to this week's menu.  I also should have worked on mom's meal plan over the weekend. Diabetes takes such work to manage, especially for my elderly mom, who has been caught more than once bring unacceptable foods into her house after she's returned from errands with her aide. I'll have to stop by her apartment tomorrow to check her refrigerator and pantry. Hope a gentle scolding will not be necessary on this visit. Following simple instructions which serve to keep her in top health seems to be a challenge for mom.  Old habits. I think I've done reasonably well in my efforts these last six months to prevent any further emergency hospital visits. And I'm happy I can help, especially since it had been years since I had last seen her; before her diabetes diagnosis.

One thing I was prepared for and looking forward to was getting back into the routine of driving my daughter and her cousins to and from school. It's been years since my vehicle required use of a booster seat; seeing it in the back seat make me instantly happy. I love that they all seemed okay with having to return to classes after two weeks off... I was never okay with that.

In other news, I was hoping to record a video comment to submit to a favorite You Tube channel. If I'm home early tomorrow I'll give it a go; it'll be a personal challenge, because I'm not a fan of myself recorded on video.  Last time I was satisfied with a recording was on a VHS tape on my wedding day... 22 years ago.

In closing this post these questions:  What challenges are you faced with with respect meal preparations for your own household and/or an elderly relative? I could use all the help I can get developing a system. Do you ever wonder how routine things in your life might negatively effect our planet?

Hope you've had a happy, productive Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment